Thursday, August 1, 2013

Omnitopia in Berlin!

Bauhaus-Universität Weimar doctoral candidate Paula Marie Hildebrandt and performance artist Nathalie Fari mounted a series of performances in May where they demonstrated the means of transforming places into omnitopia. Here's how they described their project:
"made in omnitopia is not a mere critique of a coffee shop vignette or the increasing commodification, privatization and uniformity of public space. It is an investigation of our own attitudes and the conditions of social behaviour, codes of communication, postures and positions. We treat the city a site for performative interventions by detourning existing ordinary situations or spaces."
While I was unable to visit with them personally, we did share a swell Skype conversation, and afterward they were kind enough to send me some postcards from the event. I was impressed with the breadth and depth of their theoretical work. Moreover I was amazed at the ways Paula and Nathalie drew from my meager musings to produce something live and meaningful in Berlin. 

I hope our paths cross again soon!



Learn more


No comments: