Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Burke: Separated From His Natural Condition

Tomorrow I'll introduce Kenneth Burke to my COMM 101 students. Naturally that discussion will include Burke's Definition of Man:

"Man is the symbol-using (symbol-making, symbol-misusing) animal, inventor of the negative (or moralized by the negative), separated from his natural condition by instruments of his own making, goaded by the spirit of hierarchy (or moved by the sense of order), and rotten with perfection." 

Something tells me this French commercial for toilet paper will be useful in illustrating the "separated from his natural condition" part!

1 comment:

Matthew De La O said...

Kenneth Burke was an interesting man who created his own definition of man. I have actually talked about his ideology in conversations with family and friends. I even cited it in a research paper on crime movies for another communication course and it came together really well and made my argument more effective. Thank you for thinking so vividly Kenneth B!